Alexis de Tocqueville Society
The Alexis de Tocqueville Society was created to celebrate people who demonstrate exceptional philanthropic leadership. The Society is named after the French historian Alexis de Tocqueville, who expressed his admiration of the American tradition of neighbor helping neighbor in his classic treatise Democracy in America.
The Alexis de Tocqueville Society at Granite United Way is a special group of donors who have a strong desire to address community need and implement lasting change throughout our regions. These donors invest $10,000 or more each year in United Way.
How to Join
Membership in the Society is granted to individuals contributing a minimum of $10,000 annually to Granite United Way. Of this amount, at least $5,000 must be designated to United Way, a specific United Way initiative or to one of its three impact areas. Granite United Way's “Step-Up Program” allows new members to make a de Tocqueville commitment over a period of years (typically two to three). This is a flexible giving option that allows you to customize the amount of your pledge.
As an Alexis de Tocqueville Society member, you can be assured that your donation will have the maximum impact in your community. Granite United Way’s Community Impact process holds funded programs to high standards of effectiveness and financial accountability.
- Assurance that your donation has maximum impact in the community. United Way's Community Impact process holds funded programs to high standards of effectiveness and financial accountability.
- If you have special interests, you may designate a portion of your gift to any non-profit, 501(c)3 organization(s) and we will forward your designated donation so you can be properly recognized by the charity. As a de Tocqueville benefit, no administrative fee is charged on your designation(s).
- Opportunities to network and meet with other business and community individuals who share a like-minded spirit of philanthropy.
- Invitation to a members-only annual recognition event and our Annual Campaign Celebration event.
- Recognition, along with your peers, in our annual Leadership Giving Roster.
Our gift acceptance policy for Alexis de Tocqueville Society includes:
- A minimum of $5,000 must be invested in Granite United Way's Community Care Fund or one of its impact areas - Education, Income or Health.
- Gifts may be restricted at the written request of the donor and directed to any 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.
*Our gift acceptance policy is subject to change.
Step Up Program (Alexis de Tocqueville Society)
Granite United Way is also pleased to offer a Step-Up Program which allows new members to make an Alexis de Tocqueville commitment over a period of years (typically two to three). We suggest $5,000 in year one and $7,500 in year two, but this is a flexible giving option that allows you to customize the amount of your pledge. In the final year, Step-Up Program members agree to donate the full $10,000.